Students completing the IGETC sequence to transfer to a UC school can meet the LOTE requirement in the following ways:
- One of these courses at SRJC: ASL 1[F96]; FREN 1; GERM 1; HEBREW 1; ITAL 1; SPAN 1, 40, 41. Completion of an advanced course, such as FREN 2 or SPAN 3, validates proficiency and can be used to clear this area.
- Two years of high school coursework in one language other than English with a final term grade of “C-” or better. High school transcripts must be on file in Admissions and Records.
- Satisfactory score for a language other than English on the SAT II , AP exam, or IB Higher Level Exam
- Language other than English International “A” level exam (score of 5, 6, or 7) or “O” level exam (grade of A, B, or C)
- Defense Language Institute language other than English course passed with “C” or higher on the official transcript
- Two years of formal schooling at the sixth grade level or higher with grades of “C” or better in an institution where the language of instruction is not English*
- Satisfactory completion of an achievement test administered by a community college, university or other college*
*If you attended school in another country and/or you would like a qualified faculty member to verify competency in a language other than English, please use this form.
NOTE: Faculty assessments are available for languages that current SRJC faculty speak, read, and write. As such, there may be languages that we cannot provide an assessment for.